On Saturday it was Earth Day, as you probably already know. Google had a lovely doodle to commemorate it and tons of events were celebrated around the globe to remind us
of it. However, there is criticism of this day because Earth Day shouldn’t be just one day, we should take care of our planet everyday. Governments should do way more than they are doing now and companies could also join the club but none of this means we don’t have a role to play. Therefore I have compiled here a few ways to help our planet:
1. Recycle, recycle and recycle. We produce an astronomical amount of waste every yea so recycling is one of the best ways to help reduce the damage done to nature. Separating plastic, glass, paper, etc, is extremely important but it doesn’t end there. You need to dispose of your old electronic devices, furniture, clothes and other things in the proper way. Check out your region’s website, they probably explain how and where to do it.
2. Buy eco-friendly products whenever possible. They usually say if they are on the labels. Sometimes they are a bit more expensive but I think having a place to live in 50 years will make it worth it.
3. Did you know that only 2% of the water in the world is drinkable? Don’t waste it! This is as simple as closing the tap while you brush your teeth or taking shorter showers. Not only will this save you money, it will save the planet.
4. Don’t turn the heating on or the air conditioning if it is not absolutely necessary. Put on a sweater or take it off, depending on the season, and try to use them only when the temperature really deserves it.
5. I think it goes without saying that you need to turn the lights off when you are not in the room but, have you thought of using energy saving light bulbs? They last longer and produce less carbon dioxide.
6. I’m not going to tell you not to use your car because, in the world we live in, that would be ridiculous but you might be using it more than you really need to. If you are going somewhere where finding a spot to park your car will be difficult, why not take the subway? Or if you have the option of biking, why don’t you try it? It is healthier and friendlier with the environment.
7. Use reusable bags. Not only when you go to do your groceries but whenever you go shopping. It is a very simple gesture that makes a huge difference.
8. When you go to a restaurant don’t take more paper napkins than you will actually use. Probably one or two will suffice and the trees will appreciate it. And, while we are at it, think twice before pressing the print button on your computer, we live in the electronic era after all so do we really need to print everything?
9. Nobody loves dryers more than me, I absolutely hate haging my clothes in the sun because it takes so much longer but if you live in a sunny location why not give this a try? You will be helping out and lowering your electricity bill.
10. Before throwing something away because it doesn’t work, consider fixing it. Often we throw away things just because we want to buy new ones but fixing them would be cheaper and less wasteful. If this doesn’t convince you, you could consider giving the things to charity or second-hand stores.
This is my little list of things we can do to help our planet. I think they can all be easily put into practice and, half of them, will save you money and, given the crisis we are experiencing, who wouldn’t want that?
Any other ideas to help the environment?